I strive for this verse:

"Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: "Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all." Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised." Proverbs 31:28-30

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Potty Trained



Judah is 19 months now but has been potty trained for a month now. Yes, he was fully daytime potty trained at 18 months. Yes, it can be done. No, he doesn't talk.

Potty training can be a controversial topic for other moms but it is my opinion, after potty training 4 kids......you can potty train a child when you want, at a young age, and I don't buy the "my child isn't ready excuse". People comment that my kids must be smart, but that isn't the case. Potty training is based on the patience, consistently, and dedication of the parent, not the child. Again, this is my opinion and you may disagree but those who ask me how I do it, here are my tips.

First off let me tell you where my potty training began with each of my kids. My oldest was communicating to me at about 17 months old that he disliked having a dirty diaper. However, being a first time mom and pregnant with another, I didn't know you could potty train at an early age and I was afraid that he would regress when his brother was born. So I waited until after my second child was born to potty train the oldest. Josiah was fully daytime potty trained at 22 months old. When it was time for my second child, it was a little harder due to the fact that we worked in a group home and things were constantly changing around us, however, Malachi was fully daytime potty trained at 21 months old. Aliyah came along and would follow me to the bathroom at an early age so I tried earlier with her and she was fully daytime potty trained at 15 months. So for Judah I actually worked some with him at 11 months old but due to him not walking until nearly 15 months old, I decided it was harder to train him when he was crawling. So I waited until we moved and started working with him at 17 months old, but then he had surgery for a hernia repair. After he healed from that, we spent a few days working at it and Judah was fully daytime potty trained at 18 months.

So how did they potty train at a younger age? Here are my tips:

1. Determine when you want to potty train. Do not allow your child to choose, you are in control so you choose when you want to make it happen.

2. Buy underwear. Buy lots of underwear (at least 15 pair). Do not use diapers or pullups with the exception of nighttime wetting when sleeping. Do not use diapers or pullups in public. Always carry a few extra pairs of clothing in the diaper bag and car.

3. You can use a small toliet, but you don't have to. I have trained with both. Boys are easier to train sitting down and after about a week or two, then focus on teaching them to stand and pee. Judah stands and pees at 18 mo old but learned to sit first.

4. Use a timer. In the beginning, your child most likely will not tell you that they have to use the restroom. For instance, Judah will let me know when he has to poop, but will just hold his pee until I take him. I like to set the timer for 10 min and then as time progresses, I will increase the time. I needed the timer with this youngest one as I would get caught up with other pressing things around the home and the other kids, that I would forget to take him and he would have an accident. A timer is a great tool.

5. Be realistic and expect accidents. Your child will have accidents. Judah even climbed up on my bed and peed and pooped on it. Have patience and do not give up when they constantly have accidents in the beginning. Consistency and determination will win and the accidents will become infrequent. I promise.

6. Go naked. Not you, but your child :) If you can watch your child when s/he is naked, it is easier to catch them having an accident so they can "finish" in the potty.

7. Have a reward system. Each child is different so you need to find what works. I can tell you from experience these were rewards of different children: sticker chart, over joyed clapping and excitement every potty use, underwear, raisins, etc. The reward is great for about 2 weeks but after the child gets it down, you can slowly take the reward away and they won't even notice it is gone.

8. Use public restrooms. I know some people dislike this but it is hard to be consistent if you don't use the public restrooms. Before going in public, make the child use the potty, then use the potty in public when you get there, and again before leaving. So far, Judah has not had an accident in public.

9. Don't punish for accidents. Especially bedtime accidents that are involuntary. Don't worry about bedtime wetting. I had one child who stopped wetting at night before they were 2 yrs and one that occasionally had accidents up until 7 years. Depending on your child's sleep patterns, this is normal and not to be worried about until 9ish years of age.

10. Don't stress out! You can do it.....and your child can follow your leading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment